Steven C. Mandell, Of Counsel
Mr. Mandell attained his B.S. from New York University in 1963, followed by his J.D. in 1967 from St. John’s University School of Law. Following a lengthy and successful career as a litigator, Mr. Mandell joined ARFD in 1994 as Appellate Counsel to the firm.
Since becoming “of counsel” to ARFD, and to date, Mr. Mandell has written briefs in excess of 150 appeals, of which more than 140 were argued or submitted (includes amicus curiae brief to Court of Appeals) – winning over 66% of the appeals fully submitted. Notable amongst the several significant appeals argued and having statewide implication are:
- Arons v. Jutkowitz, 9 N.Y.3d 393 (2007)
- Pahlad v. Brustman, 8 N.Y.2d 901 (2007)
- Sheppard-Mobley v. King, 4 N.Y.3d 627 (2005)
- Cox v. Kingsboro, 88 N.Y.2d 904 (1996)
- Collins v. New York Hospital, 49 N.Y.2d 965 (1980)
- Williams v. Long Island College Hospital, 83 A.D.3d 826 (2nd Dept., 2011)
- Kremen v. Bower, 16 A.D.3d 156 (1st Dept., 2005)
- Candelario v. Teperman, 15 A.D.3d 204 (1st Dept., 2005)
- Cross v. Cohen, 6 A.D.3d 306 (1st Dept., 2004)
- DeCintio v. Lawrence Hospital, 299 A.D.2d 165 (1st Dept., 2002)
- Ventura v. Beth Israel Medical Center, 297 A.D.2d 801 (2nd Dept., 2002)
- Haymes v. Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, 287 A.D.2d 486 (2nd Dept., 2001)
- Carucci v. Maimonides Medical Center, 226 A.D.2d 663 (2nd Dept., 1995)
Mr. Mandell is admitted to All New York Courts (1967); United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts (1974); United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals (1975); as well as the United States Supreme Court (1976).
Mr. Mandell is also a member of The Association of the Bar of the City of New York and the New York State Bar Association.