Barbara A. Ryan, Partner
Barbara Ryan’s area of expertise is health law, regulatory and medical staff matters for various health care institutions; representation of physicians with a concentration in professional disciplinary proceedings before the New York State Department of Health – Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC), other health care professionals before the New York State Education Department – Office of Professional Discipline (OPD); and New York State Justice Center investigations and hearings. Ms. Ryan additionally provides counsel for regulatory compliance and quality assurance to enhance patient safety. She is admitted to practice in the state courts of New York and New Jersey, the Federal District Court of New Jersey and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Ms. Ryan is peer reviewed by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ – the organization’s highest peer review rating, which is based on legal ability and ethical standards – and also consistently has been selected to the New York Super Lawyers list and U.S. News – Best Lawyers®.
An active member of the legal community, Ms. Ryan has served as president of both the New York Women’s Bar Association and The Judges And Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert (JALBCA); Board of Directors of the Association of Healthcare Risk Management of New York (AHRMNY); Executive Committee of the New York State Bar Association Health Law Section and past chair of the Committee on Professional Discipline (Health Professions); and two terms on the Departmental Disciplinary Committee (attorney discipline), Appellate Division, First Judicial Department. She is the recipient of the JALBCA Service Award and the AHRMNY Service Recognition Award. She frequently presents client seminars on health care issues, has served as an adjunct assistant professor (Health Law and Elder Law) at the NYU School of Professional Studies.
Ms. Ryan received a Bachelor Science degree from the Adelphi University School of Nursing and a Juris Doctor degree from Seton Hall University School of Law. Before practicing law, she was a nurse manager at the New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical Center (now New York Presbyterian Hospital) Department of Medical and Surgical Nursing.
- 11 ARFD attorneys recognized in ‘Best Lawyers in America’ (2023 Edition)! Learn more →
- Aaronson Rappaport Attorneys recognized as 2022 NY Metro Super Lawyers and Rising Stars! Learn more →
- 11 Aaronson Rappaport Attorneys Recognized as The Best Lawyers in America for 2022! Learn more →
- 24 ARFD Attorneys Recognized as 2021 NY-Metro Super Lawyers and Rising Stars! Learn more →
- 15 Aaronson Rappaport Partners & Associates recognized as The Best Lawyers in America (2021 Edition) Learn more →
- 23 ARFD attorneys recognized as 2020 NY-Metro Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Learn more →
- 10 ARFD Partners recognized by Best Lawyers in America 2020, including Jay A. Rappaport, named Lawyer of the Year Learn more →
- 19 ARFD Attorneys named as 2019 NY-Metro Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Learn more →
- Barbara Ryan moderates OPMC panel at NYS Bar Association Annual Meeting Learn more →
- 10 ARFD partners recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 Learn more →
- 11 ARFD partners recognized by NY-Metro Super Lawyers for 2018 Learn more →