Patrick P. Mevs, Partner
Patrick Mevs devotes his practice to the defense of complex, high-exposure medical malpractice matters on behalf of several major area hospital systems, nursing facilities and individual physicians. Mr. Mevs has successfully defended medical professionals in malpractice claims arising in numerous specialties including oncology, obstetrics, infectious diseases, geriatrics, cardiology, general surgery, orthopedics, plastic surgery and others. He manages all aspects of claims including discovery, dispositive motions and settlement negotiations, and has tried several cases to verdict. Mr. Mevs also has notable experience as appellate counsel, and has obtained multiple successful outcomes in the Appellate Division.
Highlights of Mr. Mevs’ recent results include:
- Summary judgment granted in a New York Supreme Court claim involving an alleged failure to timely prevent and properly treat a post-operative seizure leading to severe neurological injuries.
- Summary judgment granted in a New York Supreme Court claim involving an alleged improper administration of psychiatric medications leading to a fall and significant leg fracture.
- Summary judgment granted in a Southern District of New York Claim alleging a failure to properly perform a cosmetic procedure and failure to timely diagnose and treat a postoperative infection resulting in multiple injuries and additional surgeries.
Notable appellate practice decisions for Mr. Mevs include:
- Heller v. Weinberg, 909 N.Y.S.2d 477 (2nd Dep’t 2010): Successfully upheld on appeal a New York State Supreme Court decision granting summary judgment and dismissing a medical malpractice claim against a physician in a wrongful death action.
- Stewart v. Cohen, 918 N.Y.S.2d 193 (2nd Dep’t 2011): Successfully upheld on appeal a decision dismissing, as time-barred, the majority of the plaintiff’s causes of action in a wrongful death claim. Plaintiff would later discontinue the remainder of the action.
- Hourie v. North Shore-Long Is. Jewish Health Sys., Inc.-Lenox Hill Hosp., 51 N.Y.S.3d 432 (2nd Dep’t 2017): Successfully upheld on appeal a decision dismissing a medical malpractice claim brought against a client hospital on procedural grounds
Mr. Mevs is admitted to practice law in the State of New York and the United States Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
- Appellate Victory for ARFD on behalf of Hospital and Emergency Room physicians! Learn more →
- Aaronson Rappaport Elevates Two Attorneys to the Partnership in 2023! Learn more →
- ARFD Of Counsel, Patrick Mevs, nets another Summary Judgment Win! Learn more →
- Second Summary Judgment Win of the Year for ARFD Of Counsel, Patrick Mevs! Learn more →
- Summary Judgment win for ARFD Of Counsel, Patrick Mevs! Learn more →
- Aaronson Rappaport Welcomes Ten Attorneys from Gordon & Silber, P.C. Learn more →